Search

Congress Street Neighborhood Walk

Today, the second graders at Davis Magnet walked through the neighborhood around their school, stopping in at pre-arranged locations. I walked with Ms. Hansen’s class. As you can see, we set off with a spring in our step. Several students chanted a version of the “Let’s go walking, Mississippi,” theme song. We visited a restaurateur, lawyers (who are also Davis adopters), the state appellate court, and an artist. Students carried with them frames they had made last week. They practiced snapping “photographs.” Next week, small groups of students will go out again — with cameras.

At Two Sisters Restaurant

Artist Jonathan Sims

Jonathan Sims Plays for Students

Judge Virginia Carlton

Student Gavels "Court" into Session

Student Acts as Chief Judge

Lawyer Carlton Reeves

Students Practice Framing Photographs

Two Paintings by Davis Third Graders on Exhibit at Welty Commons

7 Responses to Congress Street Neighborhood Walk

• julie says:

great photos, as always. I particularly like the photo of the girl playing “chief judge.”

• Jane says:

Thanks for your work with our students….love the photos and the account of the day’s happenings!

• Dave says:

Good show! These kids are really lucky to have Davis and you.

• Renita Clark says:

Great photos! I’m sure the children had a wonderful time along with a great learning experience! What more could you ask for… Thanks for sharing.

• Patty says:

What a great trip around the neighborhood and project. I’m looking forward to the kids’ photos. Wish all kids could explore their neighborhoods with such careful planning. So glad the teachers are willing to do the extra work to bring an artist to school and expand their students’ worlds.

• THIS IS REAALY GREAT. IT IS DEAR TO MY HEART BECAUSE ATTORNEY REEVES AND I GREW UP IN THE SAME NEIBORHOOD IN YAZOO CITY, MS AND ONE OF THE STUDENTS A. J. BROWN IS MY GREAT NEPHEW. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

• scampbell says:

Queen Street,
    I am so glad to hear that you share that connection with Attorney Reeves and Davis. I hope A.J. is enjoying the Davis on the Map unit.