Search

Growing Patterns is Here!

growing covOur two copies of Growing Patterns: Fibonacci Numbers in Nature arrived today. The books are beautiful! The colors are bright, the pages are shiny, and the shape is a golden rectangle. After getting some positive feedback on using video on the blog, I decided that this would be a good day to use it again. You can watch the brief video below and then read on for more information.

From my early days of writing for children, I have always read what I was working on to kids. At first, it was my own. Then, I moved on to sharing with kids at my kids’ school. In addition to reading my stories and poems, I read all kinds of books to small groups and entire classrooms. I could tell from the kids’ reactions what was working and what was not. I learned, too, that kids are not willing to sit still for version after version of the same story. I learned to get my stories into pretty good shape before I shared and to read once and move on.

One of the spreads in Wolfsnail: A Backyard Predator is in the book because of questions I got from kids when I went to schools with my Highlights article about wolfsnails. Kids always asked if wolfsnails eat worms. I created a scene in which a wolfsnail encounters a worm (and does not eat it) so that I could answer the question in the text.

With Growing Patterns I pushed my luck with a few of the young readers, asking them to read it aloud to me. I know they felt a little nervous, but I kept my mouth shut and tried not to be too obvious about the notes I was taking. I was watching for places where they stumbled over my awkward constructions or where they needed more clarification. Two second graders wrote out a page of questions for me. Many of the questions were about how I took the photographs or got interested in the pattern. But they also pointed out their favorite photographs and patterns. I am very excited about going back to their school this week and showing these now third graders the final product.

Thank you, everybody!

9 Responses to Growing Patterns is Here!

• Peg Fisher says:

Congrats! Can’t wait for it to be available on Amazon.com so I can get this book for the grandkids. Both families are getting Wolfsnail for Christmas.
    Peggy

• Julie says:

As someone who has seen the shiny new pages in a sneak peak, we are all in for a treat. Congratulations– the wait is over!

• Woohooooooo!!!! I hope you went out to celebrate!
    Congratulations!!
    🙂
    e

• Dave says:

Gorgeous book, perhaps even fabulous. I loved the video: you have a future as a performance artist. Thanks for sharing.
    Love, Dave

• Francene Lee says:

Congrats!!!! Great video.

• Jessica Crosby says:

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! looks fantastic! loved that southern accent on the video. 🙂 Can’t wait to get my hands on it. -Jesse

• Jessica Crosby says:

Sarah, This week at Girls Prep Charter School the kindergarten writers are learning about where authors get ideas for books. Tomorrow I am going to read your book, Wolfsnail A Backyard Predator, to the class and tell them about how you got the idea for this book from Nathan’s curiosity (obsession) with wolfsnails. Seeing your blog got me thinking that it would be run to have you join the class sometime through Skype. We have interactive white boards hooked up to computers so they should see and hear you well. It would be fun to try that out sometimes if you are interested.
    -Jessica

• Irene Latham says:

Love the video, Sarah! And BIG congrats to you. It’s gorgeous. 🙂

• admin says:

I would love to visit with your students at Girls Prep via Skype. We should talk to work out the details. For an online version of how Wolfsnail came to be, see

Thanks,